Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Longer Days, Shorter Nights

The days are gradually getting longer. It only struck me today when I walked through the park at 5 pm. A couple of weeks ago, it was dark at 5 pm. We used to use that as a time gauge, it was sundown just before it hit 5 pm and by 5, it was like night. 5 pm was like a mark of mild depression, of how early it was and yet how dark it was. It was quite a paradox for a tropical girl like me, who hasn't had a prolonged experience of winter before, except for 2 months in the very same city 12 years ago, but memories don't last that long, and I've put that all behind me and forgotten how cold it was.

So as I walked under the canopy of trees, I looked up and realised that there was a white plume across the blue sky. It was a pleasant surprise. 10 minutes into the walk, streaks of pink and red bled into the white clouds, the sun was beginning to set. But it was still bright, but pretty. The fountain with greek mythical figures of strong, muscled heroes fighting bulls, gushed and bubbled. It was all a very pleasant walk, a good reminder that the cold weather is on its way out.

Life certainly looks much brighter, cheerier when the day is sunnier, and when 5 pm looks like 5 pm and not twilight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home