Sunday, July 23, 2006

Of Sourdoughs and Creme Brulees

The day looked incredibly sunny from my huge windows. So I threw on a peasant skirt and a cardigan over my tee shirt and decided to risk it without an overcoat. It was winter, but it just looked so summery out there, a quick check of the weather online said it was 17 C. Ok, I think I can handle that in my summer clothes so I slipped on my clogs (first time toes are going to be exposed in public in 1.5 months) and clickety-clacked my way down to the famous Bourke Street Bakery, which is down the road from me. I had been fantasising about their sourdough breads for the past few days, and I had checked online to make sure they were open on Sundays.

The clogs on the pavement resonated along the lovely tree-lined streets, there weren't many people around on a Sunday afternoon. All the shops I passed were closed, I began to wonder if I had missed the bakery or if it was closed. I read a food review of the bakery recently and it claimed that the line outside the tiny shop (which only has 3 tables indoors) could be seen on Google Earth. Well, I have seen the line on the weekends but as most people buy their bread and pastries and go, it moves pretty quickly.

Three-quarter way down the street, I see the queue, so I haven't missed the bakery and neither was it closed. I was probably the 6th person in line and I started oogling the breads in the glass, trying to make up my mind what I wanted this time. I've had the apple & oat and the fig and something sourdough breads, very yummy. The hazelnut and raisin sourdough caught my eye, all right, decision made - that was easy. I'm like that, when I see something I like, I immediately stick with it, no wavering, no hypothetical analysis, no taking strawpolls of people standing in line, no nonsense.

I ordered my bread and saw that they had a tray load of ginger creme brulee. Now, I love creme brulees, they must be my favourite dessert. And it was also mentioned in the food review I read, except that when the reviewer went, it was completely sold out and the reviewer was devastated. So of course, I order one as well. The bread cost $4.80 and the brulee $3.50, well good food doesn't come cheap. But at least for what they charge, you do get quality over here, so you really can't complain.

I think I hear a ginger creme brulee calling me - gotta run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home