Thursday, October 28, 2010

Discerning Taste Buds

I have a very discerning palate especially when my almost-constantly half-blocked nose is not blocked. My sense of smell and taste is particularly acute. I am known for walking into a room and being able to smell 2 slices of bread someone laid on a plate. Plain white bread.

Having this acute sense also means that I have very discernible likes and dislikes when it comes to food and beverages. Like soy milk for example. Being lactose intolerant, I explored all brands of soy milk while living in Sydney, where soy milk is common. Some were too nutty, some tasted artificial. I finally found a brand I like, the Woollies Select Organic Soy. In particular, I also found a brand I really didn't like - Bon Soy. Anyway back to the one I like - unfortunately, this proved harder and harder to find. Finally, I came to the conclusion that Woollies has discontinued this line.

In any case, moving back to Singapore meant that looking for soy is akin to looking for a rare gem. Local soya milk is a-plenty, but if one wants the non-sugared "Western" soy for tea or coffee or cereal, there are all of say, 4 brands to choose from, all of which cost an arm and a leg and taste equally bad. Fast despairing of finding any decent soy here, I have had one shipment of soy brought over by a Sydney mate. Another colleague on a business trip to Sydney, offered to find me some, however he didn't have any luck. Hence reinforcing my belief that this particular line has been discontinued. On my most recent trip to Sydney, I once again scoured the shelves of Woollies. On my last trip, I visited 3 different Woollies and couldn't find the brand I want. So this time, it was no different. The only thing was this green and white carton caught my eye. The colours were same as the brand I was looking for, the price was similar and Macro Wholefoods Market had been bought over by Woollies. So I deduced that perhaps the original version has morphed into this one because it just reminded me so much of the other. Hence I bought a carton back to Singapore and have concluded that yes, it is the same deal.

As such, I know what I would be looking for on my trips to Sydney and my mates if they want to cart back something for me from Australia, this would be it. Ok mates, I am not difficult to buy for at all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home