Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Baker's Dozen

I finished the last slice of orange cake today. I actually wanted something savory for the next few breakfasts, a big loaf of soy & linseed bread would be good. But it wasn't on offer, a loaf of bread for $4 seemed a bit excessive to me, so I sucked it in and decided to bake a carrot cake. I had bought a box of instant mix the other day before I received the Notice of Termination of Lease. Then I got the Notice and my first thought was that I had to consume all the food in my pantry so as to lighten the load for the move. So I used the mix but decided against making a carrot loaf but instead made little cupcakes. I didn't want to make the icing cos I don't really fancy icing on cakes. So here they are, well part of the 2 dozen little cupcakes I made. Iced cupcakes are really big here right now, they look really pretty but I don't think they would taste very good, with lashings of pink and blue icing and generous sprinkling of colourful hundreds and thousands on top.

I guess having an oven in the next apartment would be a very nice-to-have, I want to say a necessity even, but I think that's asking too much, seeing as most little studios come with a microwave and 2 little hotplates (if you are lucky). But if I don't have an oven, I guess the folks at work will be missing the little baked treats I have been taking in to work.

On a completely unrelated note, I like this other photo I had taken in Canberra, in the vast grounds of the War Memorial. The lovely dried leaves, stuck in the twigs of this bush, seemed such an unlikely subject for nature photography but somehow they caught my eye. This photo almost looks like corals underwater with fish swimming and darting in and out of the corals, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home