Monday, December 03, 2007

Turn The Heat Up


Buckets of sweat. I haven't sweated (yes, not "perspired" because it doesn't bring home the point I'm trying to make here) this way in the two years I've been in Sydney. Actually let me rephrase that - I've probably sweated more tonight than the total amount of sweat in the entire time I've been in Sydney.

I was at my first Bikram Yoga class where the studio is heated up to 37C. The class was 90 minutes long, I think I probably managed to do about 70% of the exercises, the other 30% I was trying not to faint from the heat, humidity and difficulty in breathing.

It was a good workout, if all that detoxing is a measure. My skin feels smoother, more radiant and I swear my pores are smaller. On the minus side, apart from the faint feeling, my chi was also going haywire. My hands, arms, legs and head were tingling like crazy. It's good to get the chi moving, but it's certainly not fun when it's so tingly it feels like I'm all numb and unable to control my limbs. The instructor assures me that it's normal, especially for a first-timer and things will get better with more practice.

The pluses outweigh the minuses. I'm definitely going back for more.



Post a Comment

<< Home