Sunday, March 07, 2010

Chocolate Beetroot Cake


I keep saying I am over the search for a good coffee in Singapore and I just shouldn't bother. It's all a waste of money ($5 at least) and suffering yet another disappointment. But sometimes I still cave in, like at the Society Cafe for a late Saturday lunch after yoga.

We had walked past the joint a couple of times and had checked out the menu and spoken to a very friendly waitress the week before, so we thought we would give it a go this weekend.

They actually knew what a flat white was, so that was an encouraging sign, however the fact that they didn't have soy milk quickly took them down a notch. But I thought I would risk the milk. The coffee art came with a shaky hand and the cup was quite small, so there goes a few more points. And it was all down to the taste. Verdict: Not as watery as the other places, but not quite as flavoursome or thick enough for me. I would give it a 5 out of 10.

The chicken, spinach and pesto penne fared a lot better. It was not a huge portion but was just nice for me. We could all smell the fragrance of the basil pesto. A very promising sign. It was delicious, there were visible bits of chicken and I even crunched into a pine nut or two.

And of course there was dessert. There were 2 cake stands staring directly at us the whole time. 1 was a carrot cake with a delightful green tea frosting and the other was a chocolate beetroot cake with pink frosting. We decided to be adventurous and go for the chocolate-beetroot combo. It was moist and had a tinge of beetroot. 2 thumbs up!

I would come back for the penne and the cake. And save my money by sticking to teh-c.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home