Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Biscuit Factory (Camperdown, Sydney)

I've long wanted to blog about this but never got round to downloading the photos from my phone till now.
I love how Sydney does quite a good job of refurbishing old buildings, usually disused breweries, factories, warehouses, hospitals, wool stores etc into apartment buildings. They seem to have got the knack of retaining the integrity of the old architecture while modifying it to suit modern residential purposes.
We saw this development called the Biscuit Factory, aptly named as it was the refurbished Weston Biscuit fatory which had closed down in 2004.
The biscuit mould was retained near where they had set up a cafe, and I thought it was really cool. I don't think Weston biscuits were particularly tasty from memory, but the memory (even an imaginary one) of an old biscuit factory now turned into a residence, is so full of poetry.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home