Saturday, September 23, 2006

Stumbling Onto Something Good

After a nice lunch of eggplant parmigiana at a quaint cafe with surly service at Five Ways, we strolled around in the lovely sunshine. My plan was to recce art galleries in Paddington and suss them out then apply to them for internship. At least I'll see what they look like in the buff, what works they carry, how big the place is, what the people are like etc.

On our way to lunch, I had spotted a Ceramics Gallery and I made a mental and photographic note of it (since my memory was sure to fail me in a day or 2). On the way back, we decided to make a stop and have a look around the gallery. I was immediately drawn to the works on exhibition. Ceramics which are inspired by the Japanese school of pottery, some traditional pieces and other contemporary, sculptural works. They were very beautiful. I was quite excited to see some works made from Southern Ice Paperclay which is what I've been working with in my ceramics class. I have been told that this (expensive) clay is very pure-looking and beautiful when fired. They were indeed and I can't wait to see my works fired and looking (a little) like that!

The owner was extremely friendly and invited us to go to the cellar to look at other works as well as the back cottage which had Japanese wood block prints. So we happily explored the gallery which is actually an old refurbished terrace house.

I decided to ask the owner if he was looking for an intern. I could see myself working here, in this environment and I enjoyed the works he was showing. And since I was interested in ceramics and spend many weekends trawling second-hand shops and markets for cheap and interesting ceramic finds, what better than this? But he was busy with a couple of customers so I lingered in the background, waiting. He must have sensed that I wanted to ask him a question as he left the customers and came to me, and asked if I wanted to ask him something! So I did. We had a brief chat about what I do in uni, he was interested in the course requirements for internship and he said he's already committed to another student but he was open and I could send him my details.

I wandered around Paddington somemore, in and out of the little shops and finally got home with aching feet. I wasted no time in sending my details to John, the gallery owner and within an hour, he replied saying that he was very positive about it, and wanted me to go and "interview" him and his assistant. He was an ex-academic and was very concerned about giving me a proper internship experience, so he enquired once again about the course requirements, and wanted to design a specific project for me to see through. Wow, so at least I won't be (just) making coffee and photocopies at this place. There is some good learning to be had.

I have a good feeling about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home