Friday, November 03, 2006

A Happy Accident

My creations based on the concept of the humble brown paper bag have come out of the kiln. I have a slew of paper bag-inspired cups, snack dishes, 2 larger snack trays and a big pouring jug in the range.

It took some tweaking with the airbrush to get the intensity of the brown to what I had envisioned. The first shade was just so insipid, even as far as brown paper bags go. The jug was glazed internally with clear glaze to seal the interior, and sprayed with the same on the exterior to give it a "now you see it, now you don't" sheen. Out from the kiln, the clear glaze turned out into a lovely shade of light green and where it was seen through the brown, it was rather complementary. I was quite pleased with the result.

Like how many things in life just turn out better than what you have planned, almost as though by chance or accident or fate or luck - depending on what you choose to believe in. I just like to refer to them as "happy accidents", the term watercolourists refer to backruns and other unplanned watercolour effects, which just give an extra edge or character to the subject. So this is my "happy accident". Now waiting for the ceramics assessment next Thursday, hopefully I'll get a "happy grade" as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home