Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Waltzing Matilda

3 months of research (internet, consulting people with past experience, talking to official helpline), consolidating information, filling up a myriad of forms and coughing up a whole lot of money (will be around A$3,000 at the end of the day), I finally lodged my PR application today. A great relief even though there are some loose ends that need to be tied up, by way of MORE documentation including a medical check up for G. But we will get there - soon.

Sometimes I wonder if it were a sign of things to come when I recollect old childhood memories, of me at age 4 or 5 and mum teaching me "Waltzing Matilda". Why would a mother in Singapore teach her young child such a typically Aussie song? Why not "Di Tanjong Katong" or "The More We Get Together" or some other typical Singaporean folk songs more suitable for a kid growing up in tropical Singapore, rather than singing about jolly swagmen and billabongs? I guess mum studied in Melbourne in the 60s and liked and remembered this popular tune and saved that in her repertoire of folk songs to teach her kids. And I still remember those strange, unfamiliar words so clearly.

But the irony...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home