Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Just Bread

This was my favourite bakery in my old neighbourhood.

It is almost an institution and the constant queue that snakes around it is proof. I love how the queue moves so quickly, the hustle and bustle of efficiency, with everyone making up their minds on their choices while waiting in the queue, there is no need to hem and haw when one gets to the head of the queue.

The freshly-baked loaves of sour dough, with weird yet fascinating combination of ingredients like fennel and raisin, sour cherry and hazelnut, potato and sour cream, apple and oat never ceased to thrill my taste buds. I love how "meaty" each loaf was, heavy and moist. A simple loaf of bread, yet it can bring one so much enjoyment.

This was one of the things that I miss the most about the old neighbourhood. Just bread, but such pleasure...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home