Friday, July 03, 2009

End Of An Era

My last day at work had come and gone. It was a day marked with nothing out of the ordinary. I went about my day, chatting with people, trying to delete my personal files off my hard drive (and failing), clearing what's left of my few personal effects (bowl and cutlery for lunch), distributing office stuff (like my extra power cord) to colleagues who have earlier made claims on them for when I leave (the vultures) and writing my farewell note.

I started on the note about 4 days earlier, but had nothing to say. The usually prolific writer that I am, got stuck at the distribution list of addressees. That was as far as I got, so I saved it in my draft folder. Somehow I was not inspired to write, maybe it was not time yet or maybe I just didn't feel like saying much anymore. But I couldn't leave it any longer seeing as I had left it to the last day, so I penned 3 lines of my honest thoughts. There was no recounting of past glories, reminiscing of difficult projects and lessons learnt and fighting in the trenches with co-workers and nursing war wounds. It was just about the friendships I've made and the support I've had from my colleagues in the past 12 years and being thankful for them. Short and sweet. And honest. That's what they got. That's what I gave them.

And then at 5 pm, I left. Without a single tear.

It was the end of an era, a close of an old chapter of my life. It was time for me to move on.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home