Saturday, March 20, 2010

Little India

We made a trip down to Little India this evening and spent more than an hour browsing in Mustafa Centre. It is amazing and sells everything from toilet bowls to Mont Blanc pens. We spent an inordinate amount of time checking out the homeware section, fingering pots, pans, tea pots, ice-cream scoops, thermos flasks, chocolate fondue pots...

After that, we decided that we were finally hungry and so I led the way to the famous Komalas Villas, the original one and not the fast-food version we saw next to Mustafa.

I ordered the masala dhosai which had potatoes in it, G got something which looked like a pizza with tomatoes on, but is probably some sort of roti with tomatoes and P got the onion dhosai. We each got a mango lassi as well and it was a cheap and yummy dinner. And filling too even though it didn't look very big. P and I did what the Romans do, and used our hands while G chickened out and went with his fork and spoon.

The dhosai was incredibly cheap at $2.50 or so. The lassi cost almost as much. The guys then each had a masala tea after the meal. I was too full by then. They were very sceptical when I told them that the additional receptacle that came with the stainless steel cup of tea was for them to transfer the tea to back and forth to cool it. But they tried the tea-cooling technique.

After dinner, we had a wander around the neighbourhood. The Ganesha statue attracted my attention. It was part of a touristy-looking Indian/Chinese restaurant. We won't be going there I'm sure, but the decor was attractive at least. I'm going to be sticking with my $2.50 dhosai.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home