Sunday, April 01, 2007

Friendship

Friendship used to be simple. No doubt it came in different permutations and packages, but it wasn't that hard. There were friends you made in primary school that you kept throughout your life, friends you made at work who drifted away when work situations changed. Friends you spoke to almost every day, emailed at least once a day, saw once a week and friends you saw twice a year, at Chinese New Year and some other occasion that warranted a get-together.

Now that life has become more complicated, so has simple pleasures like friendship.

Today I got a proposal for friendship. A strange sort of evolution of a friendship. Do I want to be friends with this person? Why do I want to be friends with this person? Do I not have enough friends? Am I doing this out of charity because the person doesn't have many friends? Am I really that compassionate? Am I hoping to get something out of this in return?

Friends come in many packages - friends for a reason, friends for a season and friends for a lifetime. Maybe there is a reason for this, I'm just waiting to see what it is...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home