Monday, September 10, 2007

The Vintage Dress

This is a linen dress made from vintage fabric and from a vintage dress pattern. It is not a mass-produced, made in China dress, but sold at Australian prices. Neither is it pre-loved to which I would have a different attitude (depending on how much I liked it I guess, but generally just being near a rack of pre-loved clothes would trigger off an allergic sneezing attack).

It was a fortuitous find, in the closing minutes of Rozelle markets. The sleek silhouette of the dress with the old-fashioned looking lace trim on the hem and slit appealed to me. The rosette in the front with the double string of seed pearls added a focal point. It was a tad roomy around the armholes but it was a great dress, and a fabulous find. I am really pleased with it. The stall-holder/designer deliberately searches for vintage fabric where possible and uses retro dress patterns. This is one of the quirky things about markets that I love so much. A mall is a mall is a mall, but markets are a different story altogether.

The decision's made, after a long and arduous hunt for "the dress" to a wedding where I don't even know the bride or groom or for that matter, anyone else except the person I'm going with, the hunt hasn't yielded any real result, but has caused some tears and frustrations in the course of it. So with this fortuitous find, I've made up my mind that I'm wearing this vintage dress to both the church and dinner thereafter.

Also from the same market but on the following weekend, I picked up these retro buttons on a whim. I feel some creative juices flowing in me, and just wanted to put them to good use and I couldn't resist these colourful buttons when I saw them. It's been a while since I did anything arty-crafty and I really feel I need to do something soon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home