Thursday, August 28, 2008

Huffin' And Puffin' Cakes

I was a little heavy-handed with the baking powder today. Instead of the usual 2 teaspoons, I think I tipped the equivalent of 4, and so the 2 little cakes huffed and puffed and the loaf had a crack pushing through the surface, looking like the aftermath of a 6.2 on the Richter scale. As a deviation from my normal taste/style, I had also thrown in a fistful of mixed fruit although technically it was an orange cake (or 3), and pushed nubs of glace cherries as garnish on the top. G gave it the thumbs up and even though it was not sweet enough, he polished 2 slices off with cream cheese and strawberry jam.

Upon checking my post-it note at work the following day, I realised that I had all the proportions completely wrong - too much flour, not enough sugar, too much custard powder, too little memory power obviously!

The 2 legal eagles at work who devoured one of the cakes I brought in, claimed that it was still good, that sometimes accidents weren't always bad, and this was one of those "happy accidents". This verdict probably earned them a lifetime membership on my "friends to feed" list.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home