Saturday, May 26, 2007

Glebe Markets & More

Today was a great day out. It was sunny and beautiful and the Glebe markets was the first stop. It's a place full of potential wonderful, unique buys at reasonable prices. Lots of handmade stuff which make good presents. I went with honourable intentions of getting pressies for people back home as I'm due for a visit in 2 weeks.

However, after an hour plus of pleasant wandering around the stalls, I couldn't resist getting this vest for myself. It just caught my eye and I originally thought it was such a shame that it was kid size and asked the stall-holder if she made them in adult size. To my surprise, she confirmed they were adult sizes but she deliberately made them a small-cut becos she likes it that way! Oh... I tried it on and I knew I had to get it even though it was A$40 (she gave me a $5 discount after I asked very nicely but told me to keep it hush-hush as it takes her really long to make one). The handiwork is really neat and the fabric is from Japan. I lurve it - needless to say, I was a happy camper after that purchase.

We stopped shopping long enough to have a coffee and a yummy Hungarian pastry rolled in brown sugar and cinnamon. It was quite unusual as the pastry was light as it was rolled around a metal rod while being baked. It was like eating air-filled, light pastry filled with sweet spice. Mmmm... of cos it went really well with a coffee. There were others rolled in coconut, vanilla and chocolate as well - will have to try that on another visit.

After the market, we went back to Paddington for lunch. Still full from coffee and Hungarian pastry, I had a chicken soup with bread. Then we went off the the gallery for nourishment of the soul, now that we had nourished our bodies.

More pleasant wandering around the Paddo shops, saw an old side table with side leaves that I really like. I think I might go back and get it. Probably about 20 year old.

We spied little white teddy propped up alone on this bench outside a clothing shop. It was really cute but on our way back the same way, to our horror, we saw a bag lady bear-nap him. We were really torn between minding our own business and tipping off the shopowner that teddy has been bear-napped by the evil bag lady. Apathy won the day, I'm ashamed to say.

After more boutique hopping, we smelt coffee at an Italian deli. We had to stop for yet another coffee in a lovely setting, amongst all the beautiful Italian, gourmet grocery. Ah, a great day out in good company. Priceless.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home